Construction sites are dangerous workplaces where thousands of accidents take place every year. Several accidents happen at the construction site due to electrocution, being hit by a falling object, coming in contact with different chemicals, and collisions with heavy machines. But slip and falls accidents are one of the common causes of accidents at the workplace. Numerous workers face fatal injuries or sometimes even death if they fall or slip from a height. According to Occupational Safety And Health Associated (OSHA), it has been reported that 40 to 50% of injuries are the result of slip or fall accidents. Well, no doubt these accidents are preventable and can be avoided by following safety precautions. filmefy
However, if you have faced any slip or fall injury at the construction site workplace due to the negligence of another person or due to defective or damaged gear. Or maybe you didn’t follow the safety precautions. Well, whatever, the reason for the accident is, you have full right to claim compensation for medical bills and lost wages and other damages you have faced. You can contact the New York construction accident attorney. Your lawyer will guide you legally and he will fight for your right.
Common Slip and Falls Injuries
Indeed slip and fall accidents result in severe injuries. Well, some of the common injuries that occur are
- Permanent disabilities
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Knee and leg injuries
- Shoulders and wrist injuries
Even slip and fall accidents can result in death.
What Are The Common Causes Of Slip And Fall Accidents
Construction sites are hazardous places. At construction sites, several tasks are performed at the same time. This makes it more unsafe. However, slip and fall accidents happened due to a number of reasons. Some of the causes are
- Uneven surfaces without warning signs
- Wet floors
- Loose mats or rugs at the workplace
- Recently polished floors
- Trash or debris on the floor
- Poor lighting due to that worker is unable to see a hazard like electric wiring
- Broken or damaged Handrails
According to OSHA, the managers or contractors should look after the defaults and repair them as soon as possible for safety purposes. There should be some rules and regulations and everyone must have to follow them. thedocweb Do not leave the floors wet or ask the workers to wear non-slip work boots at the workplace.
Types Of Slip And Fall Accidents
Two types of fall or slip accidents happen in the workplace
- Fall or slip at the same level
This type doesn’t cause severe injuries. The victim suffers from minor cuts, bruises and strains. But sometimes a person suffers from musculoskeletal injuries and this cause so much pain and takes time to heal.
- Fall or slip from the highest level to the low level
This type causes severe injuries and falls from height leading to fractures, broken bones, brain injuries and even can cause death.
Steps To Prevent The Slip And Accidents
It is the responsibility of the managers or contractors to provide a safe environment for their workers. No doubt accidents happen but some proactive steps must be followed.
- There should not be any obstruction at the passageways
- Repair the broken floorboards or other default items
- If the outdoor surface is slippery then you can ask workers to use sand or salt to avoid slipperily. Or they should use boots having good traction
- Workers should be trained to use lifting equipment and if there is any problem, they should immediately inform their supervisor
- Close the holes and opening to avoid tripping.
- Fall and slips accidents happend due to damaged leaders therefore, damaged ladders need to be maintained.
- Don’t use a metal ladder near electrical equipment
- Place the ladders in the correct directions
- Scaffolding accidents cause falls from the highest floor. They should be maintained properly and they must have guardrails to avoid falls.
Indeed, prevention is always a better option. Proactive steps save the workers from several dangers.
Benefits That The Victim Can Claim
After a fall or slip injury at the workplace, the worker has full right to claim workers’ compensation for
- Medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Emotional and mental damage
Slips and falls cause destructive accidents and workers suffer from severe injuries along with medical expenses and lost wages. If you or your loved one have faced any slip or fall injury then don’t take the time and contact a Construction Accident Attorney New York. Your lawyer will help you to claim workers’ compensation. And if the fall or slip accident happened due to the negligence of a third party then your lawyer will help you to file a lawsuit against the wrongdoer. Indeed, your lawyer will support you at every step and guide you legally.