An academic appeal is the second chance life gives to prove your innocence and start an academic career afresh with full confidence and dignity.
In most cases, an academic appeal is raised to contest a wrong or faulty decision of the school or college. This decision can be based on academic misconduct or a sexual assault case pressed against a student.
The provision to appeal for academic misconduct is given by most of the schools and universities across the nation.
But raising an appeal demands certain rules and regulations be observed. Not everyone who is found responsible for a charge can raise an appeal. To know the detailed regulations of an academic appeal, it is always better to consult an academic appeals attorney. A lawyer can guide you on how to apply for an appeal and how to make your appeal a success.
For most people, pursuing an academic appeal is not something easy and simple. They require the assistance of an experienced attorney who is proficient in academic appeals. Here are some of the points to understand about an academic appeal.
- An academic appeal is not allocated to all who wish to go for it. The grounds on which an academic appeal is usually granted should be researched and understood by the applicant.
- An academic appeal is granted for extenuating factors like a death in the family, an illness that affected classes and exams, etc. An extenuating factor is valid if you can prove it with evidence.
- The main question you can be asked while pursuing an extenuating reason for the appeal is on the timeline of appeal. This means that you need to prove to the jury panel why you haven’t informed the school authorities about the extenuating circumstance you have presented now.
- An academic appeal is of different types like probation appeal, dismissal appeal, suspension appeal, etc. So depending on the intensity of the appeal, one should decide the quality and experience of the attorney they choose.
- A dismissal appeal involves a long and tedious process to be followed up. The best idea is to get the help/advice of an academic appeals lawyer.
These are some of the main points one should be aware of while pursuing an academic appeal.
The last step to consider if you are found responsible for the charges even after the appeal is to arrange for a negotiation. Again choose wisely on whom to put as your champion in the corner for negotiations.